Internal LED Driver vs External LED Driver

LED Parking Lot Light

Every, Flood Light, High Mast fixture, Tube light, LED Panel Lights, office lighting and even a LED Strip light requires a driver. However, some LEDs are designed for household, commercial lighting, outdoor fixtures and offices Tube Lights contain internal drivers rather than external drivers.

Household bulbs usually include an internal driver because it makes replacing old incandescent or CFL bulbs easier. These include LED bulbs with standard screw-in or plug-in bases (E26 / E27 or GU24 / GU10) or those that specify a line-voltage (120 volts) input. Outdoor commercial lights have an input voltage of 120-277v, 347v or 480v.

LED Flood Light, LED Panel Light
LEDs that typically require an external driver include parking lot lights, high mast lights, Flood lights, down-lights, and tube lights, as well as certain fixtures, panels, and outdoor-rated lights. These lights are often used for commercial, outdoor, or roadway lighting. They typically require a separate driver because it’s simpler to replace the driver than the LEDs. External drivers are best when you what your LED light Fixture to last a long time. Heat is a danger to the LED’s, they can burn out if they get to hot. Heat sink is very important to reduce the heat by the LED’s, also as the light burns the driver heats up adding more heat by the LED’s so having an external driver help reduce the heating of the LED’s them self’s. The best solution is to have the driver on the outside of the LED fixture as show in the pitcher above, it will reduce the heating of the LED’s and help keeps the driver from overheating. If the driver is in the fixture, and with the ambient temperature it will heat up the drive and the LED’s, making the fixture have a higher fail rate, they an external drive fixture.
So you need a fixture with a great heat sink and the driver need to be outside of the fixture to have along lasting LED fixture.

Please follow and like us: